Sunday, February 15, 2015

Skin Care Routines : Steps and Products

Having a skin care routine is essential to maintaining healthy, beautiful skin throughout your life. It is never too late to start but it is important to make it a habit instead of doing it every once in a while.

Everyone's skin is different so the products I use may not necessarily do wonders for you. This post will bring you through the types of products that make up a skin care routine and what order to use them in. I will also include my personal tips when using these products that I have found beneficial.

Step 1: Cleanser

It doesn't matter if you wear make up on a daily basis or not. You absolutely need to wash your face every morning and night. Throughout the day dirt and oil builds up on our face that then sinks into our pours and causes issues. Over night you are rolling around in your own sweat and oils that also can cause issues. Cleansing twice a day in my book is necessary to keeping your face consistently free of breakouts.

There are many different types of cleansers to choose from. Personally I prefer creamy or exfoliating cleansers. The two that I currently use (see product reviews in "My Lush Obsession" Post) are both exfoliating cleansers.

A friend of mine asked how often she is supposed to exfoliate and I  would say every day. Now I know a lot of people would say you are only supposed to exfoliate a couple times a week but I have only seen positive results from exfoliating every single day. If you don't want to exfoliate day and night that is perfectly fine - you can use a creamy cleanser in the morning and an exfoliating cleanser at night. Whatever you see works best for you. I also want to point out that any exfoliating cleanser you use should be applied with a gentle hand. In no way is it good for you to scrub vigorously at your face.

Step 2: Toner

Toners are something I ignored throughout my life until about 2 years ago. I figured they were just an extra product companies tried to convince us were necessary when they didn't actually do anything. TONERS ARE SO IMPORTANT. I can't stress that enough. A toner can further cleanse your skin from dirt and oil, insert additional moister to your skin and balance out your complexion helping you avoid dry patches and breakouts.

There are two ways I apply toner:

In the morning I spray my toner on to my face and let it soak in for a couple seconds.

At night I spray toner onto a cotton pad and wipe my face. I've found this picks up the dirt and oil that my cleanser may have missed.

Step 3: Moisturizer 

Growing up I cared more about covering my face in pimple cream instead of moisturizer. I was having all these breakouts and figured drying out my skin as much as possible was the answer. Keeping your skin moisturized is the answer to healthy skin! I apply face cream morning and night. Night creams are commonly seen throughout most brands but I don't think they are completely necessary. I have seen positive results from keeping my routine as simple as possible and using the same moisturizer day and night. In the winter you may find you need a heavier face cream than in the spring and summer.

Step 4: Eye Cream

I find that most of my friends neglect using eye cream. Although most of them don't wear as much eye makeup as me on a regular basis - keeping your eye area hydrated is extremely important! Your eye area is the most sensitive skin on your face. It is extremely thin and often get the most wear and tear from applying and removing eye makeup.

Personally I have switched over to using anti-aging eye creams because in my opinion once you have hit your twenties it is time to start preparing your skin for the results of aging. Because the skin around your eyes is so sensitive it tends to show wrinkles first.

Of course if you are not interested in anti-aging products yet there are plenty of eye creams out there that simply focus on moisturizing.

Extra Tips: 

* NEVER go to bed with your make up on. This can lead to eye infections and clogged pours. Grossssss!

* Always wash your hands before your cleanse your face. Also wash your hands after using make up remover / before moisturizing.

*Don't be afraid to switch up your routine when the seasons change. You will probably need a more light weight moisturizer  and more "oil absorbing" cleansers during the hotter months.

*Of course try not to pop pimples but if the temptation becomes too much wash your hands before and after extraction. Also try sanitizing the spot with tea tree oil or rubbing alcohol to cancel out bacteria.

*Face masks are a great way to pamper your skin. These can be used 2 times a week sometimes 3 if you can't help yourself :D Always cleanse your skin before you apply a face mask. Use toner and moisturizer after you have washed it off.

*INVEST IN YOUR SKIN. I know skincare products can be pricey but most of the stuff from the drugstore is just not worth it in my opinion. You'll be looking at the same face your whole life so don't be shy to spend a little more on its well-being!

Recommended Brands & Products:

My favorite brands for skincare products are Lush, Origins. Khiehl's and The Body Shop.

Cleansers : Dark Angels, Angels on Bare Skin and Herbalism by Lush
                  Checks and Balances by Origins
                  Tea Tree Cool & Creamy Wash by The Body Shop

 Toners: Breath of Fresh Air by Lush
              United State by Origins

Moisturizers: Celestial and Vanishing Cream by Lush
                      The Perfect World and Night-A-Mins by Origins

Eye Creams: The Eye Doctor, GinZing and Plantscription by Origins
                      Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado by Khiel's

Spot Treatment: Tea Tree Oil by The Body Shop


Ok everyone let me know what you think! Please like this post if you found it helpful. And if you want to see more from me hit that follow button at the very bottom of the screen. If you have any questions or requests for future posts please leave them in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment