Sunday, January 11, 2015

Coconut Oil: Why you need it in your life

Hello everyone and welcome to my first blog post! 
       I decided to make my first post about a beauty secret that (in my opinion) people don't talk about enough; COCONUT OIL! Have you ever asked yourself why you aren't one of those people with perfect hair or skin? *Spoiler alert* Its because you haven't been using this stuff. 

Coconut oil is an amazing natural remedy that has helped me maintain long healthy hair, stronger /longer eyelashes and hydrated skin!

How to use as a Hair Treatment: Coconut oil is an amazing, inexpensive hair treatment. All you need for this is a jar of coconut oil and a shower cap. *If your coconut oil is still solid in the jar feel free to warm it for a few seconds in a small pan. Apply oil with your hands to your scalp and ends. Evenly work the oil throughout your hair. I do suggest to apply sparingly as coconut oil can be difficult to shampoo out if you drown your hair in it :D After application I suggest leaving this in your hair for at least 30mins. Personally I like to leave it in for 2 full hours. I do this on a day off from work while I clean the house and do laundry! After that I shampoo, rinse & repeat. I dry my hair out and BA-BAM amazing mermaid hair is all yours! 

How to use as an Eye Makeup Remover: Honestly I never thought twice about switching up my eye makeup remover until I heard about the benefits of coconut oil. On top of supporting healthy hair growth; coconut oil has anti-aging benefits as well. For all my gals out there that don't have time for eye cream - this is your answer! Not only has this helped my eyelashes grow longer but this stuff gets off mascara like a boss. Days of scrubbing at the sensitive skin around your eyes are over. I simply apply coconut oil with one finger to my eye area, work it into my lashes and wipe it away with a tissue. This will leave your eyes feeling clean and hydrated. Another great thing about using coconut oil as an eye makeup remover is that it will never sting your eyes! 

How to use as a Body Moisturizer: Ok I know what your thinking "There is no way I'm rubbing oil all over my body on a daily basis." I hear you, this is not a tanning salon. Although a lot of people do apply coconut oil directly as a body moisturizer I prefer to mix it into my favorite lotions! I mostly do this during the winter when my skin is super dry and itchy. I take a handful of my favorite lotion and put a penny size amount of oil in there. Mix them together, apply and you wont tell the difference! Except for how hydrated your skin feels throughout the day! I also mix this into my hand lotions because my hands get super cracked in the winter and coconut oil is my only solution! 



My favorite brands include the Dr. Bronner's Magic "fresh-pressed virgin" coconut oil (find at Whole Foods) and the Trader Joe's coconut oil that you can pick up in the cooking aisle. These retail anywhere from $12-$19. 



2 comments: